In June we very much have a month of two halves. In early June we have a relatively busy few weeks covering Ascension, Pentecost and Trinity. In effect, these events represent the beginning of the church that we have today….so I think you will agree they are quite important! By contrast though, in later June, we start a period of ‘lean’ or ‘ordinary’ time. These terms are used to cover times in the church where there are no big events or any fundamental changes. There are a few of these periods in the year but the one that starts in June is by far the longest and runs for approximately 20 weeks. To put that into context, at the end of this ‘lean’ period we then start the countdown to Advent and the build up to Christmas…which reminds me, you only have 23 shopping Saturdays until Christmas!
Spring is well and truly in the air and we have been seeing some lovely sunny days (mixed in with cold and rain) but it has traditionally been a time for Spring cleaning the house…. where the windows are thrown open, the house is aired and lots of focus is placed on chores. During this ‘lean’ time in church I think it would be a good idea for us all to focus on our own spiritual cleaning plans and how we might be able to cover differing aspects of prayers through the week. I appreciate the list might be a tad cliched but please have a read and see how you might be able to use this structure during ‘lean’ time to kick-start your own spiritual spring clean.
- Monday – Wash Day. Lord, help me wash away all my selfishness and vanity, so I may serve you with humility through the week ahead
- Tuesday – Ironing Day. Dear Lord, help me iron out the wrinkles of prejudice I have collected through the years so that I may see the beauty in others
- Wednesday – Mending Day. O God, help me mend my ways so I will not set a bad example for others
- Thursday – Cleaning Day. Lord Jesus, help me to dust out all the many faults I have been hiding in secret
- Friday – Shopping Day. O God, give me the grace to shop wisely so I may purchase eternal happiness for myself and all others in need of love
- Saturday – Cooking Day. Help me, my Saviour, to make a big dish of love and serve it with human kindness
- Sunday – The Lord’s Day. Come into my house and my heart so I may spend the day and the rest of my life in your presence.
May the Lord continue to guide us all through 2019.
Alastair and Jayne (on behalf of the Wardens team)