David Phillips – St Luke’s bell ringer for 65 years!
After our morning service on 5 November one of our bell ringers, David Phillips, received a presentation in thanks marking his 65th year as a bell ringer at St Luke’s. He is pictured below with his wife Ann who received a bouquet of flowers.
David took what was a common route at the time, from the Choir, upstairs to the ringing room.
He was taught to ring by the late Len Copnall, himself a ringer at St Luke’s for many years.
During his time as a ringer David has so far rung for over 3,000 church services and 250 weddings!
There is a book in the ringing room in which significant events for which the bells are rung are recorded. Some of those in which David took part are listed below:
- 27 Jun 1961 For the enthronement of the Archbishop of Canterbury (Michael Ramsey).
- 15 Dec 1961 A compliment to Len Copnall in his 30th year as a ringer at St Luke’s.
- 10 May 1980 To open the celebrations for 550th anniversary of the dedication of St Luke’s.
- 16 Sep 1984 Celebrate the birth of HRH Prince Henry Charles Albert David.
- 26 Jan 1985 Compliment to Canon WEP Tyson on his appointment as Rural Dean of Congleton.
- 1st Dec 1985 Prior to the official opening of St Luke’s Church Hall by Bishop of Chester.
- 5 Dec 1987 For the Centenary of Chester Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers.
- 21 Jan 1990 Compliment to Canon WEP Tyson on completion of 20 years in this parish.
- 30 June 1991 For 450th anniversary of Diocese of Chester.
- 1 Sep 1997 To mark the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.
- 29 April 2011 To celebrate the wedding of HRH Price William and Catherine Middleton.
- 9 May 2015 To mark the 70th anniversary of VE Day.
- 15 June 2015 To commemorate the 800th anniversary of the sealing of Magna Carta.
- 8 Sep 2022 For the death of HM Queen Elizabeth II
- 6 May 2023 Prior to the Coronation in Westminster Abbey of HM King Charles III
Captain of Bells
Postscript from David
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their best wishes and the beautiful
bouquet presented to me and my wife Ann.
It was so kind to offer a special thanks to Ann for all her help in enabling me to attend service
ringing and practices over so many years.